Required Documents for Your University
The documents you will have to prepare before applying to a university are mostly the same for Dutch universities. However, for some universities, other documents may be required. Make sure you always check on on the website of the university.
Key Application/Required Documents
You will always be required to present the following documents:
• For Bachelor programs, you are required to include a list of your past courses and your Diploma/Secondary School Certificate
• For Master programs, your College or university diploma with list of subjects and hours per subject is required
• a Valid ID or passport
• The results of your TOEFL or IELTS non-native speakers’ test (exceptions may apply for some high school diplomas). Some universities accept results of other English language proficiency tests. Please check with the respective university for details
• (Optional) The results of Dutch language test NT2 only for enrollment for programs in Dutch. Language requirements for individual programs or courses are indicated in the database of international study programs
• Curriculum Vitae (resume), reference letter(s) and a letter of introduction (an essay personal statement or motivation letter) with the information about the candidate’s background and the reasons he/she wants to study at the specific university.
A recommendation letter for a student or employee can be written by somebody from the teaching stuff (as senior teachers, professors, career officers) or by employers. This is often a requirement.
A reference letter is similar to a recommendation letter. The only difference is that recommendation letter is usually sent to the recognized person, while reference letters are sent to unfamiliar people at universities. This type of letter is a stamp of integrity, capability and character of the student. It could be written by teachers or the principal.
Your personal statement (or admission essay) is your way to prove the admission officers why you would be a perfect fit at the university, why the university should accept you over other candidates and why are you more special than the others.